Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tennessee Tree Toppers - Team Challenge

Day one of the Team Challenge and I'm loving the relaxed attitude/learning environment the club has created here.  What's really nice for me is that I'm totally off the hook for doing anything and I get to be 100% tourist - it's really heaven.  The Tennessee Tree Toppers (hang gliding club) own the land where the launch and landing fields are situated.  There's a huge campground on launch with a clubhouse and anything and everything a pilot could need - including nice fast wifi for me ;-).  There are nearly 50 in the competition here, plus heaps more free fliers - most are camping at launch.

Today wasn't taskable.  Rain was forecast to come in around 3pm.  So far that hasn't happened, but the sky has been completely overcast all day, so there's been nothing in the way of lift.  But I love the attitude here.  The purpose of this competition is to raise up new competition pilots, so even if it isn't taskable, there is still so much that can be done.  Many pilots (me included) opted to have a sled ride to the bottom landing field - good launch and landing practice.  Mitch had ET set up in the landing field doing a bit of electra-towing.  Tonight as I type, Mike Barber and Dennis Pagen are giving a talk on cross country flying.  What a great way to get more guys (and gals) into our competition scene!




Sweetest meet director on the planet - Ollie Gregory.



1 comment:

jeff jones said...

I am so glad to find your blog! I can't be there this week but through your blog I can feel like I am. Thanks for posting Jamie I hope you give us daily updates. Cheers and hope you get plenty of air! Jeff