Saturday, March 30, 2013

Forbes in Autumn

The worlds ended over two months ago and I'm just now getting around to posting something.  It has seriously taken me this long to recover from that marathon of a hang gliding competition.  Anyone who has been to Forbes knows what it is like: briefing at 9:30, straight to the tow paddock for setup, launch around 1 or 1:30, fly for 4-6 hours, spend the evening getting retrieved and back to Forbes by 9 or 10pm on a good day.

In addition to the grueling daily schedule, my attitude, in light of my terrible performance, didn't give me much fun stuff to talk about by the end.  Well I guess a few months of reflection has improved my attitude (although now, I'm told, the my problem is a mid-life crisis ;-).  But, as I tend to do, looking back now I'm only remembering all the good stuff - and there was plenty of it.

What a difference 2 months makes though!  After 12 days of flying in sometimes insane conditions at the worlds in January, it's been fantastic to come back and fly under much more relaxed circumstances.  Easter weekend here is like another world.  Instead of 45 degree heat, 20mph wind and 10,000 ft cloudbase, we're all in long sleeves flying light winds, topping out at 4500 ft and then landing back in the green, green tow paddock.  I'm loving it!!

 His and hers RX's ;-)


No comments: