Sunday, December 15, 2013

How good is Forbes!

It's so good that after flying there for the weekend, I abandoned my commitment to drive for Glen, Pippo and Kathryn so that I could fly myself in the comp ;-).  By the way, anyone interested in driving for a great international team for Forbes (US, Australia, Italy and Ireland!!)?  How fun would that be!

Glen and I drove out Friday night to meet up with Kathryn and a bunch of Canberra pilots.  It was nearly a mini-comp of about 15 or so with Andrew Luton (Theif) doing the task setting for Saturday. The forecast was for nicely unstable, good lift and a high cloudbase so the task was 215km to Gulgong. Pretty ambitious, but totally doable as it turns out.  Glen and Chop Lamont made it there (Glen after 3 tows!) and several made it within 40kms or so.  I wouldn't say it was a fantastic, classic Forbes day - I found the lift really rough and snaky and hard to follow, but at least there was massive sink between all that rough lift ;-).  I only made about 55 or 60 kms, but it was still great fun.  My new glider is so lovely to fly and again, I can't help but notice the exceptional glide it gets.

Day two task was to fly towards home.  Glen made 160km to the Bathurst soaring club and landed at their airstrip there.





No comments: