Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Mojave Airplane Graveyard


The desert is by far the coolest thing this town has going for it. My parent's house is kind of on the edge of town, so it only takes a few blocks of running before I am out into the desert chasing jackrabbits through the sagebrush. I have been running nearly daily. It seems there's not much else to do in this town and I am still determined to lose that belly ;-)

Lancaster is the nearest normal sized town and I discovered on the first trip there (its about a 40 minute drive) that the airplane graveyard that Alex and I had so much fun visiting several years ago is no more than 15 minutes from Cal City. We were chased away by a security guard who called us "complete idiots" for not noticing the sign that said "Absolutley NO Pictures." Although he threatened to, he didn't take away our cameras, so we came away with some real close up shots of very large airplanes. Turns out, we were complete idiots because neither of us noticed the sign, even though it was quite obvious when he angrily pointed it out to us. Anyway, it's not exactly a graveyard. What I am told is that it is more like a parking lot for commercial airliners that are not currently in use. That makes more sense as many of them looked rather new and in good shape.

We get a gorgeous sunset nearly every night. Here's one taken from the back porch of mom and dad's house. Sometimes I feel like I moved from one bubble to another being here in our own little world. Mom and dad bought a house right in the middle of where everyone else is building their's. GW's is just across the street, along side Charles' (one of JB's co-workers at Sportvision). Dale (one of JB's childhood friends) is building his house right next door to mom and dad and Mark (my baby brother) is building his second one about 2 blocks away. JB's is apparently fairly close too, but I haven't been offered that tour yet.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Glad to see you posting again ;)
Dig the pics of the big birds... Security boy sounds a bit uptight, what's the problem with some pics of parked airplanes?

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the neighborhood...well sorta...I live in L.A. Thought I'd just give you a run down on some of the flying sites near Cal City. I'm sure that you are aware that Lone Pine is less than an hour and half drive away, making the Owens Valley kind of your home site. Nearby Tehachipi(sp?) used to have a few sites, but apparently they have or are about to be closed. Garlock to your north works well on NE days; flights into the Owens are fairly common. Avenue S in Palmdale works well on Santa Ana days, but not many people go XC from there. Hungary Joe out of Sylmar sets up a towing operation out of Lake El Mirage during various weekends throughout the year. If you want to drive a little farther Pine Mountain in Ventura county is about 2 hours or so away. On a good day you can fly home. Here is a picture log of a flight from there this past summer. Seven of us (3 HGs and 4 PGs) flew to at least Cal City that day (I'm the "Hare" at Frazier Mtn). http://circlinghawk.com/118.html

YuppieDiva said...

are public tours of this graveyard offered? I want to make a special trip there from Sacramento but not unless I can get up close and personal to these puppies.  Any tips?? ~ yuppiediva@gmail.com