Sunday, April 29, 2007

Belle Bridge

Quite often I have these very peaceful, pleasant dreams. Many times they aren't about anything in particular. Sometimes they seem to play on for hours when in reality they are more just a single snapshot, but because there are so many thoughts and emotions wrapped up into them, they seem like they are lasting much longer than they really are. This morning I got up and went for a run in this small town of Columbus, Mississippi. We are in one of those old southern neighborhoods where the most of the houses have names. Ours is called Belle Bridge. It was build in 1856 and is just a block or so from Tennessee Williams' house. It's one of those houses with a room for everything and a fireplace in every room. Jonny wants to take a picture of himself in every room for his blog. It is exactly the house you imagine when you think of the South....giant white pillars in the front and a huge back porch that's pretty much just another living room overlooking a well manicured back yard. So anyway, I went for a run along a path that follows the Tom Bigbee River running through town. The temperature was perfect as the path was shaded by woods on both sides. I felt just like I do in one of those pleasant dreams. Nothing overwhelmingly happy or exciting, just a very peaceful contentment. I don't know what causes me to feel this way, but often I remind myself how lucky I am to be a manic without the depressive downside.

Today we'll take the boat out on the same river and look for sharks teeth. Apparently, about 33 million years ago the beach was in Memphis....so I guess a few sharks lost some teeth around here. We'll see if we can find some. It's nice to be with the boys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Columbus is a nice little town. My daughter, Krissie, and I had a great time there when I was filling in at the local hospital. There's an antique shop downtown that becomes a restaurant at lunchtime and they have the best coleslaw I've ever tasted!
You sit at beautiful wooden tables and have antique napkins and silverware. Very genteel.
Glad you enjoyed the trip through the 'true' South.
And, even though I was born and raised in the 'Heart of Dixie', I still think Faulkner was, like most critically-acclaimed writers, angst-ridden and preoccupied with strife.
Good luck with the tooth hunt.
P.S If you ever get the chance to go to Clarksdale, over in west MS, check out Morgan Freeman's bar and grill -- they play the best delta blues. And you can even dance! Morgan frequents the place; he's a pretty nice guy. He and Clint Eastwood have a hunting preserve just outside of town.