Monday, January 28, 2008

Learning Spanish in Colima

The wedding is over and we're back down in Colima trying to recover ;-) It was by far the best and most unusual wedding I have ever been a part of. I normally hate weddings...don't know why, I guess I just always question whether both of the two people involved really want to be jumping in. Mateo and Meredith sure seemed like they did. It was sweet and fun and hilarious to see the whole thing. Meri was gorgeous walking through the cobblestone streets of this tiny town with everyone following. The ceremony was long and Catholic, but it was fun to try to understand what was going on. Afterwards, we hosted a party of at least 500 - 600 people. I say "we" because I was the Padrina of the hooch ;-)...well, not all the hooch, just the tequila. Funny for a girl that doesn't drink.

Mateo and Meri are off on their honeymoon now and I get their house to myself while they're gone. Mark, Myshel and Maxie left Monday morning to head back to Charleston and Mom and Dad left yesterday tomorrow morning. It's quiet, but a good atmosphere for me to work and study. I'm taking Spanish lessons each morning for the next few weeks. I decided there was no reason to rush home when there was such a great opportunity to learn some Spanish.

Interesting story - The wedding started at 5pm on Saturday. We drove up that afternoon from Colima. We had planned to get an early start to have time for visiting before the wedding, but as usual, we didn't get out of Colima till about 1pm for the 2 hour drive. Mateo thought we were coming earlier and began to worry so he sent a truck with two Mexicans and 2 M16s looking for us. We though he was overreacting in a huge way, of course, until we got the full story at the reception. Apparently the drug cartel of that area had decided they weren't going to allow any out of towners to come up the hill to the wedding. But in the end they decided two car loads of gringos were ok ;-)

The upload speeds here are ridiculously slow, so I can only get one picture up. I will try more later.

This is the main cobblestone street heading up to the church in Trojes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey came across your article while searching for places to study spanish in colima... cant find much online - any recommenations?!!!