Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Name is Maria and I am Stupid

"I feel I must apologize for my vile use of the air today."

Ok, if I thought I was full of stupid mistakes the first two days of the comp, today tops them all. Straight off launch, I seemed to hit nothing but sink. When I finally noticed a few gliders going up off the spine in front, I headed that way, only to see one of them go completely vertical and into a dive. Well that was enough to convince me I didn't want that thermal. Unfortunately, I guess it was the only one at the time. I searched for another ten minutes until I was completely without options and couldn't even make it over launch to get to the main landing field. So, only choice then was to go around through a little slot to the south. Lucky for me that worked and made a field just at the base of the west launch, narrowly missing landing on top of a nice Slovenian factory. Even before landing I was on the radio with Maria seeing if I could have a relaunch. The organizers said sure, but the window closed at 3:00, so I better hurry. I derigged like a madman and waited for Timothy to speed down the hill for me. Unfortunately, by the time he arrived it was clear that we couldn't make it back up before 3:00.

Not my best day, for sure. But, I'm trying to snap out of it by reminding myself that I'm lucky not to have landed in the trees or on top of the factory....I'm lucky not to have a broken collar bone like Alan, who crashed into the side of the high mountains today. We're all very happy that he survived that one.

Only thing left to do today was drown my sorrows in the cold cold river and chase whimpy Austrians around threatening them with cold water.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dinner, movie ?