Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spoiled??



I've described myself to people as spoiled more than a few times over the years....probably because I feel like I have more than I deserve in so many ways.  Or, at at minimum, I have more than others who appear much more deserving than me.  I've spent the last little while trying to figure out what spoiled really means to me and whether or not I really am or want to be spoiled.

What I've come to believe is that being spoiled has less to do with what one has and more to do with how one acts and reacts when she doesn't get what she wants.  Perhaps not getting what I want most right now is what is causing me to mull over this topic.  How do we react when we don't get our way?  How do I react?  A person who can't deal with not getting what they want is spoiled.  Spoiled isn't someone who has a great deal in life or even someone who always wants more out of life.

While I might have the urge to stomp my feet and throw some things, being a girl that isn't spoiled means that I'm trying really hard to remember the words of a wise Kiwi...."the key to contentment is acceptance."

1 comment:

JackieB said...

Good post, Jamie.

Whenever I'm feeling frustrated about something I want, but don't have, I try to focus on the statement from The Buddha proclaiming that desire is root of all suffering. There are exceptions to this philosophy, but not that many. And embracing it has helped me achieve peace of mind that I wouldn't have otherwise.