Sunday, June 04, 2006

Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself

The worlds are over and it must say it is quite nice to be finished with all the chaos and commotion. It was a few days after the meet ended that things started to get back to normal, but they did and we quickly settled into the usual summer pattern at Quest with rain, heat and high humidity. Only one solution to that - get out of dodge!

So, I thought I might take the new glider up to Highland and see what it's like to compete again. Needless to say, I was more than a little nervous about towing and being in a new strange place. I decided to wait till later in the window to launch because the wind was stronger than I would have liked. Luckily, the tow (the part I was most afraid of) went beautifully. My glider really is unbelievably easy to fly. It think it just needs a more confident pilot. I suppose that will come eventually, but I wish it would hurry. After flying rigids for so many years, I truly feel like a beginner pilot again and that isn't comforting. I just have to keep telling myself that I DO know how to do this and that my fear and apprehension are the problems, not my skill. Tomorrow should be much nicer as I won't wait till the lift is all gone to launch ;-)

Maryland is a lovely place. I never imagined there could be a place with more open landing options than Florida. But there is! Bo and I flew into Baltimore yesterday morning and made the hour and half drive to Highland through the wide open countryside. Not much more than wheat and corn fields and nice green grass everywhere. I can't help but wonder why this area is still so open, with big cities being so close by. If we were in California, this would be built up with giant subdivisions as far as the eye could see and traffic backed up all the way from here to the city. What is that line from the Last Resort? - "they put up a bunch of earthly boxes and Jesus, people bought em."

No comments: