Saturday, June 10, 2006

Windy


We're here at Highland Aerosports in Maryland for the East Coast Championships. This is really such a beautiful area and I have so enjoyed the flying. It reminds me a lot of Florida flatland flying in that the thermals are mostly big, fat and smooth (with the exception of yesterday). I have generally sucked in the meet, but its been good for me to get used to flying a flex in competition again. Hopefully by the next one (Canungra) I'll be a bit more relaxed and will do a little better than a few places up from last ;-)

I really hope this meet will turn into a regular annual thing. This is the second year they have done it and everyone here promises to be back next year if they hold it again. Sonny, Adam and Kristen do an amazing job here and the tug pilots are awesome! Young Zach (he can't be more than 18 or so ;-) has become an excellent tow pilot. He towed me up every day but one and I could have closed my eyes and believed I was being towed by Lisa (the best tug pilot on the planet). I believe there were 30 pilots in this meet and I suspect next year there will be a lot more. The tasks are pretty short (which is fine with me) as we are a bit limited here because of the proximity of the bay and such.

A really funny thing happens here every day as we're pinning in. The usual question is "what did you land in today?" - most fields around here are crops, wheat, barley, soybeans and corn are the most common. Its funny to hear "what" everyone landed in.

Today should have been the last task, but the wind is howling- they're saying 25mph+. But the sky looks great - reminds me of Zapata, perfect cloudstreets lining up! Here is a shot out the clubhouse door.

No comments: