Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Waterspouts

Having the first day of ugly weather since I've been home from Europe. I guess I've been spoiled with so much sunshine for the past 3 weeks. This morning I woke up to a lot of overdevelopment, but a super cool sight out over the water - two developing waterspouts! I couldn't grab my camera fast enough. Because the battery was in the charger on the wall, by the time I had the camera ready, one had already dissipated, but it was still an amazing thing to see. I have dreamed of seeing a tornado for as long as I can remember, so I was pretty tickled to see two waterspouts - closest things so far.


Apparently waterspouts occur more frequently in the Florida Keys than anywhere else on the planet. The shallow water surrounding the islands and the regular east and northeast tradewinds make for the perfect conditions for waterspouts. After the Keys, the southeast coast of Florida is the next most active waterspout area. I'm a bit far north to be considered the southeast part of Florida, so I guess today was a special treat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no fair, you don't have recurring dreams of waterspouts and tornados like I do

Jamie Shelden said...

he he he....I know its you Mateo! You can't hide from me!