Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Istanbul

Our flight finally left Milan last night and we made our way to the flat in Istanbul about 2am. The streets were still alive at that hour, even on a Tuesday night. The city is strange and very foreign, but beautiful and friendly. Although they're always trying to sell you something, the people are smiling and open.

We visited all of the usual tourist sites and came home this evening with sore feet from all the walking and full bellies from all the baklava. Claudia said she would be flying a tandem glider if she stayed here too long.

The singing voice signaling the call to prayer several times a day is odd and makes me feel as though I'm in a movie.


The most spectactular site we saw was a huge underground sistern built between 500 and 600 AD. It was enormous and eerily lit with red lamps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, does this girl get around!! Sitting at my desk and living vicariously through YOU!!! Beautiful fotos nd fun coverage of the Comps. Our weather bites up here signed. Drenched PK in Vermont

corinnaflies said...

By the way, "From Russia with love" had a great scene in exactly that yerebatan sistern, with Sean Connery as James Bond. When I was in that sistern, I kind of expected Mr Bond to race around the columns on a jetski ;)
I had a lot of fun in Turkey, as the Turkish people always asked me where I was from, and when I said, "Bremen" they told me in German the latest results of my local soccer club Werder Bremen. I was impressed (but still didnt want to buy a carpet ;))