For the first time in more than a week it was starting to feel like we might do what we came here for. The delay until noon was just enough to tempt us up the hill under at least partially blue skies. We had nearly a foot of snow on launch and it was really cool for this California girl to set up in the snow for the first time in my 20 years of flying. I was so excited to find that a task was set and the plan was to launch at half past two. Unfortunately, not ten minutes after the task was set, the sky started looking very angry way out in front and the weather man told us it was coming in fast. We all derigged in a hurry to miss the coming storm. Although we managed to get the gliders under cover, the high winds arrived just as we were ready to head down the hill and the wind shut the cable car down for a while. The restaurant on top was a great refuge to wait it out though and we relaxed with a cup of tea and apfelstruddel for a short while before the cable car opened up again.
This morning’s sky looks quite similar to yesterday’s and currently we are on hold until 11:30. But, as I sit typing, hail is falling :-(