Sunday, July 17, 2005

Zapata, Texas


Well, after all my big plans for the summer, somehow I have ended up in Zapata again. I couldn't find anyone to go to Egypt with me (I hope you're happy Markus!!), so I figured Zapata with Jonny was a nice alternative...nearly as hot, just no pyramids. I flew into Orlando on Wednesday night and got up first thing Thursday and started that hell drive to Zapata. As if it isn't already bad enough to drive across Texas, I had to make my way through some of the worst thunderstorms I've ever seen. From Ocala (just an hour north of Quest) every single mile of the way to Zapata it rained cats and dogs. My beautiful pink bicycle was soaked :-) But anyway, I survived and made it in time to pick up Jonny's glider at the airport in Laredo. So here we are, ready to go!!We are all out at the airport now (at 7:30am) getting ready for the big day. David, Davis and Gary are all running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Everyone is so excited about what they are calling the best looking forecast in 3 years. Of course, the last three years here have sucked, so that's probably not saying much. But we are prepared!! We packed overnight bags with the hope of going so far today that we won't want to drive all the way home tonight. Also Emily is supposed to hit south Texas on Tuesday or Wednesday, so we didn't see any need to rush back down here...probably better to celebrate somewhere further north. Jonny seems very hopeful and I think if anyone can do it, he can!!!So, thanks to the Crackberry, I will hopefully be able to update every hour or more if something exciting happens. David has taught me how to post audio spots directly from the mobile, so I am hoping to get regular updates from Jonny via the radio and let you all know how he's doing every step of the way. In the meantime, I'll put up some shots up so you can see what a miserable looking place this is :-)

No comments: